Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dying Queen, Young and Sweet, Only Twentyyyy

I died my own crinoline! In all, I think it turned out great, I honostly have no idea why I've been fretting about this the past couple of days. Oh well, its over with now. Heres the finished product.


It came out so bright, I'm so excited to wear it. I know it will look even better in natural sunlight and photographed by the pros. I was actually really nervous doing this though. I thought for sure I was going to end up with a tie dyed mess.



As I let the washer fill up with hot water and very little detergent I made the dye bath mixture of two cups hot water and one box of dye. I then added it to the washer and let it agitate for about ten minutes. White it was sitting I soaked my crinoline in the shower with hot water. After that I just added it to the washer and ran it through one wash cycle.

To take the crinoline out of the washer I put three old towels down on the floor of our laundry room (its tile). I then would set the entire crinoline down on that to straighten it back out and unwind it. I tried to just do it in the air but it was so heavy and water was getting everywhere, ha.

I ran it through two more wash cycles with the dye before one more normal wash. All the while removing it from the washer every so often. To dry I just hung it up in the washroom off the door.



Pretty blue water :)



The bottom even picked up the light blue, I was kind of hoping this would stay white though, oh well.

The whole thing was pretty easy. If I had to do it again I would take it out of the washer more. I let it run through one whole wash cycle before I took it out to untangle it and the top was pretty light compared to the bottom. Thats why I had to run it through the wash cycle two more times- to get it to even out and be dark enough, so that sucked. Other than that it was a piece of cake!

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Girl, you are brave! I would have been so scared to mess it up!

It looks like it turned out great though!

Kate said...

That came out fantastic!

Unknown said...

Aww the blue is perfect and adorable! That looks so well done it could have been sold from a clothing store!

I would totally wear that with my cute white sweater and gorgeous diamond necklace I bought from www.idonowidont.com and show off the look downtown!

What clothing will you dye next because you did an awesome job!

Ashley said...

Thanks girls- I was pretty impressed myself!

ashley said...

awesome!! i think that's one of the coolest touches for a wedding day look!