Thursday, December 11, 2008

To dye or not to dye?

I've been so busy lately and have had no time to write a real blog entry. My mom, stepdad and brother came into town for the week of Thanksgiving. We didn't do to much while they were here. We went bowling one night, did the Budweiser brewery tour another and some shopping. We did drive down to Denver the night before Thanksgiving to pick up my dress though. Little did we know that they were going to be running on holiday hours so when we arrived at 5:04pm we soon found out they closed at 5:00 that night. I was so upset because I really wanted my mom to see me in my dress before the wedding and she was leaving early the day after Thanksgiving so now she couldn't. I ended up going back down by myself and getting it the day after Thanksgiving so now my dress is hanging in my closet! It's sooo official now and I can not express how happy I am! When I picked up my dress I also bought a crinoline too :)




Now that I own my crinoline, I just have to figure out what color to dye it. I have been debating between yellow and blue for weeks now! I really wanted to wear yellow shoes under my dress to spice it up, meaning I would want a yellow crinoline to match. After thinking about it, although I really want to wear yellow shoes I highly doubt I will. I HATE shoes. In the winter I wear flip flops because I can not stand shoes. I know I will end up taking them off right after the ceremony, therefore they would just be a waste. Having no reason to dye the crinoline yellow I was thinking then I could die it blue and have it be my something blue.

I went to the store and bought a box of Evening Blue. This color looked perfect in the swatch below. If I'm going to use blue I want it to be nice and bright which I thought was a dead on match for the shade in the picture! Well after I dyed a washcloth this color I found that this is just a light sky blue, not what I wanted. Since I wasn't sure how much dye to put in the wash for just one washcloth I kept adding more but I still wasn't getting the results I wanted.








My two other choices to dye my crinoline are Yellow and Royal Blue. Neither look anything like how I was imagining my crinoline though. I know these are just pictures but the yellow looks way to bright and the Royal Blue looks very deep. I'm debating if I should even dye it at all now. I really do not want to mess this up and will hate it if its a nasty color, I'm way to picky. I think I'm going to have to go and buy both the royal blue and yellow and do more experimenting.

Anyone else dying theirs? If you've already one it, any tips?

No comments: